Is something bothering you? There's definitely something that's bothering me. This is my beef, what's yours?

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Dollar Movies and Music

This past weekend I went down to visit my friend Kris in the St. Louis area. Everytime I go down there, we plan on doing a bunch of things and end up doing nothing--which I have absolutley no problem with. This time we watched a few movies, including an independant film called Park with Ricki Lake, Cherie O'Terri, and Billy Baldwin, that was pretty funny. If you happen to see it on HBO it's worth watching. So, yeah, we did that, played some wii, and then ventured out to see Shrek 3 at the theaters.

I know you're thinking, Shrek 3? That was out months ago. You're right my friend, but could you see it for a dollar a few months ago? No, no you could not. The movie theater by Kris' house is a regular theater but had a few older movies playing for a dollar. Honestly, who could beat that? We went and got our cokes and Kit Kats, found our seats and sat in anticipation of the third Shrek. The previews started, well, actually the commercials. Why do they have commercials before movies these days? It's so annoying. I go to the movies to get away from commercials and there they are, creeping up on me. Anyways, a commercial for the St. Louis Ambassadors of Harmony comes up. Well, at least I thought it was a commercial. It started out pretty corny..."Did you know that St. Louis had a harmony choir? Well, they do..." Ok, so it goes on and the choir starts singing. This choir is made up of 150 highly animated men singing their hearts out. They're singing and singing....and singing...ok, they've been singing for a pretty long time. If you have a commercial, you have 30 seconds tops of singing, right. Well, these guys have been singing for a couple of minutes. In fact, they're singing an entire song. Kris and I seem to be the only two people in the theater that find this both odd and amuzing. We try our hardest to contain our laughter but it slips out and we're stuck in a talespin of giggles. Luckily, the choir has finished their song. Good. The movies should be starting soon. Wrong again. The choir starts singing a new song. This time it's about a fiddle and they have a massive fiddle standing up in the middle of them and are playing it with a huge bow that one of their choir mates are sitting on. What the hell? Is this why we paid a dollar for this movie? It's not really Shrek 3, but Shrek 3 as interpreted by the St. Louis Ambassadors of Harmony. At this point, I have lost all restraint and start laughing the hardest I've laughed in a long time. I have a hard time catching my breath. I'm sure I'm bothering all of the other patrons in the theater, who obviously are intrigued by this harmony choir. Sorry people. Thankfully, the end of the fiddle song, was the end of the promo for the choir. Phew. I can breath again. Thank you St. Louis Ambassadors of Harmony for making my day.

If anyone wants to check them out, their website is www.aoh.org. Sadly, you can't watch any of their performances on their stie. Appartenly, you have to go see a dollar movie to do that. Ah, or go to one of their shows.

2 Comments:

Blogger KristenMay said...

Man that was still the weirdest thing! Why was no one else laughing? Or talking during the singing? Why didn't anyone else find it strange? I tried recording it on my phone but it didnt come out that great. Thats probably a good thing.
Oh and I am buying you tickets for Xmas.

6:39 PM

 
Blogger Vicki Kunz said...

Yay! I'm so excited to go and see the whole show! Whatever, if we went we would get thrown out...probably during the first song.

10:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home